Jan 17, 2020
View information for the Department of Computer Science , including Learning Objectives for the department and its programs.
1. Complete the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements.
A student must comply with all University regulations and satisfy the following requirements:
- Units and Residency (minimum of 120 units: 40 units of upper division coursework and 30 semester units at Stanislaus State. At least 24 of these 30 units must be earned in upper-division courses, at least 12 must be in the major, and at least 9 must be applicable to General Education-Breadth requirements)
- Grade Point Average (minimum grade point average of 2.0 (C) or better)
- General Education (minimum of 49 units)
- Upper Division Writing Proficiency (minimum of 3 units)
- Pass the Writing Proficiency Screening Test (WPST)
- Writing Proficiency (WP) Course (may double count in the major)
- United States Constitution and California State and Local Government (minimum of 3 units)
- Multicultural Requirement (minimum of 3 units) (may double count with General Education requirements or in the major)
Subsequently all students must submit an application for graduation and receive approval from the major advisor, department chair, and Director of Academic Advising. For more information see the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements .
2. Complete the prerequisites to the major.
No more than 8 units of CR-graded coursework may apply toward the prerequisites to the major.
3. Complete the major of not less than 34 upper-division units.
4. Complete PHIL 4401 Professional Ethics, 3 units
Departmental Writing Proficiency Requirement
- Pass the university-wide Writing Proficiency Screening Test
(or have the equivalent transferred from another campus), and
- Pass a Computer Science course with a WP designation, or obtain certification from the departmental WP coordinator.
No upper-division course which applies to the major or to the electives may be taken on a CR-graded basis except CS 4910 (Cooperative Education), CS 4940 (Practicum in Computer Science), and CS 4960 (Seminar in Computer Science). Prerequisites to the major should be completed before upper-division computer science courses are taken. Completion of a minor is not required.
Prerequisites to the Major
(32 units minimum)
And any one of the following three sequences:
1. Complete the following required courses:
2. Theory Requirement
Complete two of the following:
3. Practice Requirement
Complete one of the following:
4. Select 12 units from the following courses.
A course may not be used as an elective if it used to satisfy the Theory or Practice requirements; at least 9 units must be in computer science courses. Units from CS 4910 , CS 4940 ,and CS 4950 may be used with prior departmental approval. No more than one of CS 3500 , CS 3550 or CS 4010 may be used to satisfy elective requirements.