Feb 26, 2020
View information for the Department of Philosophy and Modern Languages , including Learning Objectives for the department and its programs.
View the degree program Roadmap, which provide recommended advising maps to complete the degree program. Please consult your academic advisor as you develop your academic plan.
1. Complete the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements.
A student must comply with all University regulations and satisfy the following requirements:
- Units and Residency (minimum of 120 units: 40 units of upper division coursework and 30 semester units at Stanislaus State. At least 24 of these 30 units must be earned in upper-division courses, at least 12 must be in the major, and at least 9 must be applicable to General Education-Breadth requirements)
- Grade Point Average (minimum grade point average of 2.0 (C) or better)
- General Education (minimum of 49 units)
- Upper Division Writing Proficiency (minimum of 3 units)
- Pass the Writing Proficiency Screening Test (WPST)
- Writing Proficiency (WP) Course (may double count in the major)
- United States Constitution and California State and Local Government (minimum of 3 units)
- Multicultural Requirement (minimum of 3 units) (may double count with General Education requirements or in the major)
Subsequently all students must submit an application for graduation and receive approval from the major advisor, department chair, and Director of Academic Advising. For more information see the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements .
2. Complete the following prerequisites to the major:
3. Complete the major of at least 24 upper-division units (including no more than two GE UD-C courses)
Track 1, General
(24 units, not more than two GE UD-C courses)
1. Complete the following required courses:
2. Complete one “History of Philosophy” course from the following list:
3. Complete two “Value Theory” courses from the following list:
4. Complete two “Philosophical Issues” courses from the following list:
Track 2, Graduate School
(30 units, no more than one GE UD-C course)
Complete the above requirements (but with no more than one GE UD-C course), along with the following two courses (6 units).
4. Senior Paper Requirement:
In addition to completing course requirements for the BA degree, each student must submit a capstone paper that conforms to established department criteria. Guidelines and criteria are available from the department chair.
5. Honors in the Major:
Senior Thesis satisfies Senior Paper requirement