Jun 15, 2024  
2009-2010 Academic Catalog 
2009-2010 Academic Catalog [Archived Catalog]

Education M.A.: School Counseling Concentration and Pupil Personnel Services Credential

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Colleges & Departments

(combined program)

Connie Kane, Ph.D., Program Coordinator

The PPS Credential is required for counselors in the K-12 setting. Upon completion of the program, students qualify for both a PPS credential and a Master of Arts in Education. This program is designed for teachers and other professionals who already have experience working with children and youth. The following requirements adhere to the Standards of Quality and Effectiveness for Pupil Personnel Services Credentials in School Counseling that were adopted by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing in January 2001. All courses offer postbaccalaureate credit and are applied toward the Master of Arts in Education.

Admission Requirements

To be considered for admission to the PPS Credential/M.A. School Counseling Program, applicants must:

  1. Possess a baccalaureate degree.
  2. Be admitted to the University in Postbaccalaureate standing: Unclassified.
  3. Have a grade point average of at least 2.75 in the last 60 semester units earned.
  4. Have a combined score of 100 using a weighted score of the grade point average (GPA) for the last 60 semester units, and the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) converted score. Admissibility will be assessed by multiplying the student’s GPA by 20 and adding the MAT converted score. A total weighted score of 100 is required for admission. For example:
    3.0 GPA X 20 = 60+40 MAT = 100 (Admissible)
    3.2 GPA X 20 = 64+36 MAT = 100 (Admissible)
    Submit Miller Analogies Test score with Application for First Interview.
  5. Successfully pass the California Single Subject Assessments for Teaching Educational Technology exam, or complete EDIT 4170* with a grade of B or better.
  6. Pass the CBEST with a minimum score of 41 on the writing portion. CBEST verification with section scores must be submitted to the Advanced Studies Department with Application for First Interview.
  7. Submit a Certificate of Clearance (or valid California Teaching/Service Credential or Substitute Permit) with Application for First Interview.
  8. Submit three (3) letters of recommendation with Application for First Interview.
  9. Pay application fee at Cashier’s Office. Submit Application for First Interview form with payment receipt to the Advanced Studies Office (DBH 348).
  10. Participate in First Interview.


57-59 units for individuals successfully completing the SSAT Educational Technology examination; 59-61 units for individuals taking EDIT 4170.*


If Project/Thesis is not complete after three semesters of enrollment in 5960/5990, then EDGS 7005  must be taken each term until finished.

The Pupil Personnel Services: School Counseling Intern Credential Program

The Pupil Personnel Services: School Counseling Intern Credential Program allows school districts to appoint PPS Credential candidates to school counseling positions after they have completed 23 units of coursework, including one semester of fieldwork. This position shall be for at least one semester. The intern is supervised by both the University EDCL faculty and the school district of employment while continuing the coursework at the University as required for the PPS in School Counseling Credential. The internship credential is usually issued for a two-year period; thus the intern must complete the approved institutional program within a two-year period or the period authorized by the internship credential. (For additional information and program advisement, the applicant is asked to contact the program coordinator.)

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Colleges & Departments