Sep 17, 2021
View information for the Department of Music , including Learning Objectives for the department and its programs.
The Bachelor of Arts in Music provides a humanistic approach to the study of music as a significant part of human tradition and culture. A variety of career opportunities may be open to students with this background in a liberal arts curriculum. Emphasis areas include general music and music technology.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Students will perform on a principal instrument/voice at a level appropriate to their degree program or concentration, and apply this skill in both large and small ensemble situations.
- Students will demonstrate technological literacy throughout the curriculum.
- Students will demonstrate understanding of theoretical and formal principles of music through coursework that emphasizes composition, analysis, and improvisation.
- Students will demonstrate proficiency in aural and keyboard skills.
- Students will demonstrate understanding of the development of world music and the historical foundations of European and American styles.
- Students will show integration of curricular goals through capstone performances and/or projects.
1. Complete the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements.
A student must comply with all University regulations and satisfy the following requirements:
- Units and Residency (minimum of 120 units: 40 units of upper division coursework and 30 semester units at Stanislaus State. At least 24 of these 30 units must be earned in upper-division courses, at least 12 must be in the major, and at least 9 must be applicable to General Education-Breadth requirements)
- Grade Point Average (minimum grade point average of 2.0 (C) or better)
- General Education (minimum of 49 units)
- Upper Division Writing Proficiency (minimum of 3 units)
- Writing Proficiency (WP) Course (may double count in the major)
- United States Constitution and California State and Local Government (minimum of 3 units)
- Multicultural Requirement (minimum of 3 units) (may double count with General Education requirements or in the major)
Subsequently all students must submit an application for graduation and receive approval from the major advisor, department chair, and Director of Academic Advising. For more information see the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements .
2. Complete the following prerequisites to the major:
Two units in consecutive semesters from one of the following applied studies, as directed by the major adviser:
An additional 2 units from any of the following:
3. Complete the major. Completion of a minor is not required.
1. Core: Complete the following courses:
A total of 4 semesters from any of the following ensembles:
2. Emphasis: Under the direction of the major adviser, complete one of the following emphases:
University General Education Requirements, 51 units
Required Prerequisites, 16 units
Major, 10-14 units
Area Emphasis, 17 units
Electives to meet University Unit Minimum, 22-26 units
Total Required Units, 120 units