Sep 26, 2020
View information for the Department of Kinesiology , including Learning Objectives for the department and its programs.
In the Subject Matter Preparation Program (SMPP) in Physical Education, students will be professionally prepared to become exceptional physical education teachers and coaches that foster the acquisition of content knowledge and skills, and promote physically active lifestyles of children and young adults through high quality physical education programs. The waiver program is designed for students who wish to enter credential programs in physical education in K-12 schools. The SMPP in Physical Education is approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing and fulfills subject matter competency prerequisite for entrance into a credential program for a single subject teaching credential in physical education.
Please note that this is an optional waiver program and a track in the Kinesiology B.A.
The Kinesiology B.A. degree requirements are fulfilled by the below coursework. Students must complete the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements , in addition to the following:
1. Complete the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements.
A student must comply with all University regulations and satisfy the following requirements:
- Units and Residency (minimum of 120 units: 40 units of upper division coursework and 30 semester units at Stanislaus State. At least 24 of these 30 units must be earned in upper-division courses, at least 12 must be in the major, and at least 9 must be applicable to General Education-Breadth requirements)
- Grade Point Average (minimum grade point average of 2.0 (C) or better)
- General Education (minimum of 49 units)
- Upper Division Writing Proficiency (minimum of 3 units)
- Writing Proficiency (WP) Course (may double count in the major)
- United States Constitution and California State and Local Government (minimum of 3 units)
- Multicultural Requirement (minimum of 3 units) (may double count with General Education requirements or in the major)
Subsequently all students must submit an application for graduation and receive approval from the major advisor, department chair, and Director of Academic Advising. For more information see the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements .
Recommend KINS 1000 or KINS 1001 and KINS 1610 for General Education area E. Each course counted toward the major, including prerequisites, must be completed with a grade of C- (1.7) or higher. All courses counted toward the major (both within and outside of the Department) must be taken on a letter grade basis. This degree prepares students for admission to the Single Subject Credential Program in Physical Education; the Bachelor of Arts, Kinesiology: Single Subject Matter Preparation Program was approved by the CCTC in 2009.
2. Complete the prerequisites to the major:
1. Complete the all following courses:
2. Complete all the following courses:
Movement Perspective Courses
3. Complete all of the following courses:
4. Choose two courses from the following:
Supplementary Authorization in Introductory Health Science and in Introductory Physical Education
The holder of a Multiple Subject, Single Subject, Standard Secondary, or Special Secondary Teaching Credential may have one or more of the subjects commonly taught in departmentalized classes and listed below added to his or her credential as a supplementary authorization by verifying completion of the following requirements specified in California Administrative Code, Title 5 Sections 80057.5, 80089, 80089.1 and 80089.2. Supplementary authorizations cannot be issued in any subject that falls within the statutory single subject category of an applicant’s Single Subject Teaching Credential.
The department offers courses for the Introductory Health Science supplementary authorization and the Introductory Physical Education supplementary authorization.