Sep 21, 2020
The BFA degree curriculum requirements include: Baccalaureate Degree Requirements (52 units), Foundation prerequisites (27 units), BFA Major (54 units).
Admission to the BFA Major will be by portfolio review after completion of the Foundation prerequisites to the major. Students transferring from a community college may submit a portfolio for review and be admitted directly into the BFA program if they have completed courses equivalent to the Foundation prerequisites. Students also may apply while enrolled in the upper-division B.A. degree in Studio Art. A 3.0 grade point average in the Major must be achieved for eligibility in the program and maintained to continue in the program. If the grade point average in the Major drops below 3.0, the student will be reassigned to the B.A. degree in Studio Art program.
Please contact the Department of Art for further information regarding the program, including program learning outcomes, and the schedule portfolio reviews.
All studio art courses in the major may be taken twice for credit.
1. Complete the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements.
A student must comply with all University regulations and satisfy the following requirements:
- Units and Residency (minimum of 120 units: 40 units of upper division coursework and 30 semester units at Stanislaus State. At least 24 of these 30 units must be earned in upper-division courses, at least 12 must be in the major, and at least 9 must be applicable to General Education-Breadth requirements)
- Grade Point Average (minimum grade point average of 2.0 (C) or better)
- General Education (minimum of 49 units)
- Upper Division Writing Proficiency (minimum of 3 units)
- Writing Proficiency (WP) Course (may double count in the major)
- United States Constitution and California State and Local Government (minimum of 3 units)
- Multicultural Requirement (minimum of 3 units) (may double count with General Education requirements or in the major)
Subsequently all students must submit an application for graduation and receive approval from the major advisor, department chair, and Director of Academic Advising. For more information see the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements .
2. Complete Foundation Prerequisites to the Major.
a. Complete each of the following courses:
b. Complete each of the following:
c. Complete one of the following:
3. Complete the Major.
a. Complete each of the following:
b. Participation required in an exhibition of the work of graduating BA/BFA candidates.
c. Complete each the following:
d. Complete one of the following:
e. Complete at least 27 units from the areas:
For a “Mixed Emphasis,” include units from all four areas i-iv. For a specific subject area “Emphasis,” include at least 18 units from one subject area, and 9 units from the three other areas. Options require advisor approval.
iv. Video and Time-Based Media
v. One of the courses below may be counted towards the above 27 units:
*Optional: Art Subject Matter Preparation Program
Students wishing to enter a credential program should complete the Art Subject Matter Preparation Program in addition to at least one of the two concentrations.