May 19, 2022
View information for the Department of History , including Learning Objectives for the department and its programs.
View the degree program Roadmap, which provides recommended advising maps to complete the degree program. Please consult your academic advisor as you develop your academic plan.
1. Complete the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements.
A student must comply with all University regulations and satisfy the following requirements:
- Units and Residency (minimum of 120 units: 40 units of upper division coursework and 30 semester units at Stanislaus State. At least 24 of these 30 units must be earned in upper-division courses, at least 12 must be in the major, and at least 9 must be applicable to General Education-Breadth requirements)
- Grade Point Average (minimum grade point average of 2.0 (C) or better)
- General Education (minimum of 49 units)
- Upper Division Writing Proficiency (minimum of 3 units)
- Pass the Writing Proficiency Screening Test (WPST)
- Writing Proficiency (WP) Course (may double count in the major)
- United States Constitution and California State and Local Government (minimum of 3 units)
- Multicultural Requirement (minimum of 3 units) (may double count with General Education requirements or in the major)
Subsequently all students must submit an application for graduation and receive approval from the major advisor, department chair, and Director of Academic Advising. For more information see the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements .
2. Complete the following prerequisites to the major.
a. A two-course sequence in World Civilizations or World History
b. One course in lower-division U.S. History
c. One of the following courses:
3. Complete the major of 30 upper-division units.
No courses graded CR may be counted towards the major, except eight units taken in courses graded exclusively CR/NC.
Reading knowledge of a foreign language is desirable but not required for the bachelor’s degree and the history graduate program.
(30 units minimum)
At least two courses from groups 1 through 6 below must be in a premodern era. Courses fulfilling this requirement bear asterisks (*).
1. Select one course in upper-division European history from Group 1:
GROUP 1: Europe
2. Select one course in upper-division United States history from Group 2:
GROUP 2: United States
3. Select two courses in upper-division Latin American, Asian, African, and/or Middle Eastern History from Groups 3 through 6:
The two courses may not come from the same group. (6 units)
Group 5: Africa
no courses currently offered in this section
Special Topics courses (HIST 4950) may be used to satisfy the above requirements at the discretion of the History Department.
4. Select one course in Comparative and Global Perspectives from Group 7:
GROUP 7: Comparative and Global Perspectives
5. Select one Topical Lens course from Group 8:
GROUP 8: Topical Lenses
6. Complete the following Writing Proficiency course:
7. Complete sufficient electives to equal at least 30 upper-division units in history.