Oct 17, 2021  
2013-2014 Academic Catalog 
2013-2014 Academic Catalog [Archived Catalog]

Education M.A.: Counselor Education Concentration and Pupil Personnel Services Credential

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Colleges & Departments

Mira Mayer, Ed.D., Program Coordinator

Office: DBH 355
Phone: (209) 667-3447 or 3364

The Master of Arts in Education, Counselor Education and Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) Credential is intended for students who aspire to offer counseling services in K-12 schools and/or higher education.  The PPS Credential is required for counselors in the K-12 setting. Upon completion of the program, students qualify for both a PPS credential and a Master of Arts in Education. This program is designed for teachers and other professionals who already have experience working with children and youth. The following requirements adhere to the Standards of Quality and Effectiveness for Pupil Personnel Services Credentials in School Counseling that were adopted by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing in January 2001.

Admission Requirements

To be considered for admission to the PPS Credential/M.A. Counselor Education Program, applicants must:

  1. Possess a baccalaureate degree.
  2. Be admitted to the University with a GPA of at least 2.75 for the last 60 units earned.
  3. Submit Application for First Interview form with payment receipt to the Advanced Studies in Education office (DBH 348).
  4. Pay program application fee at Cashier’s Office.
  5. Pass the CBEST with a minimum score of 41 on the writing portion. CBEST verification with writing scores must be submitted to the Advanced Studies in Education Department with the Application for First Interview.
  6. Submit proof of a Certificate of Clearance (or valid California Teaching/Service Credential or Substitute Permit) with Application for First Interview.
  7. Submit three (3) letters of recommendation with the Application for First Interview.
  8. Successfully complete First Interview.

 General Information

  1. Coursework Requirements - No more than nine semester units of coursework completed in Postbaccalaureate Standing: Unclassified may be applied to a master’s degree.
  2. Graduate Requirements - The minimum academic grade point average for earning the M.A. degree is 3.0.  The minimum acceptable grade for courses included in the M.A. program is a C.
  3. Final Requirements - The P.P.S. and M.A. in Education degree requires the successful completion of all coursework and passing a Comprehensive Exam, or approval of a written thesis, and passing of an oral thesis defense.  After all requirements have been met, the student will be awarded the M.A. degree and/or will be eligible to apply for the P.P.S. credential.
  4. Class Scheduling - Courses are scheduled in the late afternoon and evening to enable employed individuals to enroll in classes. Early registration is strongly recommended.
  5. Coursework - Coursework expires seven years from completion and cannot be applied toward the Master’s degree.  One-third of units may be revalidated if less than 10 years old.  This applies to all Master’s degree options: thesis or comprehensive examination.

Requirements for PPS with Comprehensive Exam Option:

(51 units)

Requirements for PPS with Thesis Option:

(58-60 units)

The Pupil Personnel Services: Counselor Education Intern Credential Program

The Pupil Personnel Services: Counselor Education Intern Credential Program allows school districts to appoint PPS Credential candidates to school counseling positions after they have completed 23 units of coursework, including one semester of fieldwork. This position shall be for at least one semester. The intern is supervised by both the University Counselor Education faculty and the school district of employment, while continuing the required PPS credential coursework. The internship credential is usually issued for a two-year period; thus the intern must complete the approved institutional program within a two-year period or the period authorized by the internship credential.

For additional information and program advisement, the applicant is asked to contact the program coordinator.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Colleges & Departments