This is a preliminary credential offered through the Department of Advanced Studies in Education .
California State University, Stanislaus is authorized to recommend individuals for Education Specialist Credentials in two areas: Mild/Moderate Disabilities and Moderate/Severe Disabilities. The Level I programs prepare individuals to perform responsibilities of entry-level special education teachers.
When a graduate of the Level I program obtains a special education position, an application is filed with the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing and the Preliminary Level I Education Specialist Credential is issued. This credential is valid for five years while Level II preparation is completed. It is recommended that undergraduates seeking admission to the Education Specialist Preliminary Level I Credential enroll in the Liberal Studies major with a concentration in Exceptional Children and Youth .
Note: A prerequisite teaching credential, Multiple or Single Subject, is not required to obtain the Education Specialist Credential.
Admission Requirements: Preliminary Level I Education Specialist Credential
- Students must be admitted to the University as an undergraduate or postbaccalaureate student.
- Complete an application for admission to the Preliminary Level I Credential Program. The application packet is available online at www.csustan.edu and in the Advanced Studies office. Refer to the packet for application deadlines, admission criteria during the year of application and acceptance, and any additional requirements.
- Complete an upper-division writing course (listed as WP in the catalog) or pass an equivalent test or submit a verifiable score of 41 or higher on the writing portion of CBEST.
- Complete PSCI 1201 American Government or an equivalent course that fulfills the U.S. Constitution requirement.
- File a Certificate of Clearance with the application to the program.
- Verification of Early Field Experience. All candidates must complete 45 hours of documented field experience in K-12 classrooms.
The student will be recommended by CSU Stanislaus for the Preliminary Level I Education Specialist Credential upon satisfactory completion of the following:
- All Level I program requirements with grades of B or better.
- Verification of baccalaureate degree.
- Passing score on the Reading Instruction Competency Assessment (RICA) (effective January 2000).
- Satisfactory performance on exit interview or examination. The Preliminary credential is valid for five years, while Professional Level II preparation is completed.