Jun 14, 2024  
2010-2011 Academic Catalog 
2010-2011 Academic Catalog [Archived Catalog]

Education M.A.: School Counseling Concentration and Pupil Personnel Services Credential

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Colleges & Departments

Connie Kane, Ph.D., Program Coordinator

The Master of Arts in Education, School Counseling and Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) Credential is intended for students who aspire to offer counseling services in K-12 schools and/or higher education.  The PPS Credential is required for counselors in the K-12 setting. Upon completion of the program, students qualify for both a PPS credential and a Master of Arts in Education. This program is designed for teachers and other professionals who already have experience working with children and youth. The following requirements adhere to the Standards of Quality and Effectiveness for Pupil Personnel Services Credentials in School Counseling that were adopted by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing in January 2001. All courses offer postbaccalaureate credit and are applied toward the Master of Arts in Education.

Admission Requirements

To be considered for admittion to the PPS Credential/M.A. School Counseling Program, applicants must:

  1. Possess a baccalaureate degree.
  2. Be admitted to the University in Postbaccalaureate standing: Unclassified.
  3. Have a grade point average of at least 2.75 in the last 60 semester units earned.
  4. Have a combined score of 100 using a weighted score of the grade point average (GPA) for the last 60 semester units, and the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) converted score.  Admissibility will be assessed by multiplying the student’s GPA by 20 and adding the MAT converted score.  A total weighted score of 100 is required for admission.  For example
    3.0 GPA x 20 = 60 + 40 MAT = 100 (admissible)
    3.2 GPA x 20 = 64 + 36 MAT = 100 (admissible)
    Submit Miller Analogies Test score with Application for First Interview
  5. Pass the CBEST with a minimum score of 41 on the writing portion.  CBEST verification with section scores must be submitted to the Advanced Studies in Education Departmetn with Application for First Interview.
  6. Submit a Certificate of Clearance (or valid California Teaching/Service Credential or Substitute Permit) with Application for First Interview.
  7. Submit three (3) letters of recommendation with the Application for First Interview.
  8. Pay application fee at Cashier’s Office.  Submit Application for First Interview form with payment receipt to the Advanced Studies in Education office (DBH 348).
  9. Participate in First Interview.

 General Information

  1. Coursework Requirements - No more than nine semester units of coursework completed in Postbaccalaureate Standing: Unclassified may be applied to a master’s degree.  Enrollment in all School Counseling Program courses requires admission to the program.
  2. Graduate Requirements - The minimum academic grade point average for earning the M.A. degree is 3.0.  The minimum acceptable grade for courses included in the M.A. program is a C.
  3. Final Requirements - The M.A. in Education degree requires the successful completion of all coursework and passing a written Comprehensive Exam, or approval of a written thesis, and passing of an oral examination.  After all requirements have been met, the student will be awarded the degree.
  4. Class Scheduling - Courses are scheduled in the late afternoon and evening to enable employed individuals to enroll in classes.

Note:  Early registration is strongly recommended.  Limits are placed on class size; consequently, enrollment is not guaranteed.


(49 units)

The Pupil Personnel Services: School Counseling Intern Credential Program

The Pupil Personnel Services: School Counseling Intern Credential Program allows school districts to appoint PPS Credential candidates to school counseling positions after they have completed 23 units of coursework, including one semester of fieldwork. This position shall be for at least one semester. The intern is supervised by both the University EDCL faculty and the school district of employment while continuing the coursework at the University as required for the PPS in School Counseling Credential. The internship credential is usually issued for a two-year period; thus the intern must complete the approved institutional program within a two-year period or the period authorized by the internship credential. (For additional information and program advisement, the applicant is asked to contact the program coordinator.)

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Colleges & Departments