Jul 15, 2024  
2007-2008 Graduate Catalog 
2007-2008 Graduate Catalog [Archived Catalog]

Fees and Financial Aid

Click on any of the following links for information:


Non-California residents pay an additional $339.00 per unit.

Registration Fees

The term “registration fees” refers to all mandatory fees charged to register for classes. These include the State University fee, fees for Associated Students, Athletics, Health Facility, Health Services, Instructionally Related Activities, University Union, plus any required course fees.

  Credential   Graduate
  0-6 units   > 6 units   0-6 units   > 6 units
State University Fee* 1113.00   1788.00   1165.00   1882.00

Fee rates for the 2007-2008 academic year are based on fee rates proposed in the Governor’s Budget. The Governor’s budget proposal must be approved by the legislature; consequently, it is possible fees ultimately required for the 2007-2008 academic year may be more than the rates billed at this time. If rates are increased in the 2007 fiscal year budget, students will be billed the difference.

Associated Students, Inc. 48.50
Athletics 39.00
Health Facility 3.00
Health Services 86.00
Instructionally related activities 25.00
University Union 58.50

Other Fees:

Late payment 25.00
Late registration 25.00
Parking, (optional) auto 64.00
Student ID/Warrior card 0.00
ID card replacement, first time 5.00
University Catalog 10.00

*See the Schedule of Classes at web.csustan.edu/classschedule for the most up-to-date information, including summer and winter fees, course fees, deadlines, etc.

Nonresident Tuition

The nonresident tuition fee of $339.00 per unit is payable by all students who have not been legal residents of the State of California for at least one year immediately preceding the residence determination date. Tuition payable by nonresident and foreign visa students is in addition to fees required of California resident students, except for enrollment in University Extended Education courses. Questions regarding residency classification for admission eligibility and tuition purposes should be directed to the Residency Technician in the Enrollment Services Office at (209) 667-3152.

Initial determination of residence status is made by University officials prior to or at the time of registration, and fees must be paid at registration. Full refund of nonresident fees paid will be made if final determination by the University legal adviser indicates that a student is a legal resident for fee purposes. For more information, refer to Determination of Residence in the Appendix.

Assembly Bill 540 Exemption from Nonresident Tuition

Any student who has attended a California high school full time for three or more years and has graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent thereof (e.g., a High School Equivalency Certificate issued by the California Department of Education – a GED certificate alone does not qualify) will be exempt from paying nonresident tuition. An undocumented alien student who meets the above requirements must file an affidavit with the University indicating the student has applied for legal immigration status or will do so as soon as the student is eligible to do so.

Students who meet the exemption requirements and who are undocumented aliens are not eligible for any federal or state financial aid program. Students exempted from paying nonresident tuition under AB 540 are not eligible for the Governor’s Merit Scholar Programs. The law does not distinguish between public or private high schools nor impose any time limit on how far in the past the student may have attained this status.

Credit Card Payments

VISA, MasterCard and Discover are accepted only at University Extended Education for payment of students fees. Neither the main cashier’s office nor the CSU Stanislaus-Stockton Center cashier’s office will accept credit cards. Regular University fees may be paid online with MasterCard, Discover or American Express through CASHNet Smartpay, but users incur a 2.9% convenience fee. Public Safety and the Parking Management Bureau accept VISA, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express.

Refund of Fees Including Nonresident Tuition

Regulations governing the refund of mandatory fees, including nonresident tuition, for students enrolling at the California State University are included in section 41802 of Title 5, California Code of Regulations. For purposes of the refund policy, mandatory fees are defined as those systemwide fees and campus fees that are required to be paid in order to enroll in statesupported academic programs at the California State University. Refund of fees and tuition charged for self-support programs at the California State University (courses offered through extended education) are governed by a separate policy established by the University.

To receive a full refund of mandatory fees (less an administrative fee), including nonresident tuition, a student must cancel registration or drop all courses prior to the first day of instruction for the term; see the Academic Policies and Procedures section for dropping courses and withdrawal from the University.

For state-supported semesters, quarters, and non-standard terms or courses of four (4) weeks or more, a student who withdraws during the term in accordance with the University’s established procedures will receive a refund of mandatory fees, including nonresident tuition, based on the portion of the term during which the student was enrolled. No student withdrawing after the 60 percent point in the term will be entitled to a refund of any mandatory fees or nonresident tuition.

For state-supported semesters, quarters, and non-standard terms or courses of less than four (4) weeks, no refunds of mandatory fees and nonresident tuition will be made unless a student cancels registration or drops all classes prior to the first day in accordance with the University’s established procedures and deadlines.

Students will also receive a refund of mandatory fees, including nonresident tuition, under the following circumstances:

The tuition and mandatory fees were assessed or collected in error;
The course for which the tuition and mandatory fees were assessed or collected was cancelled by the University;
The University makes a delayed decision that the student was not eligible to enroll in the term for which mandatory fees were assessed and collected and the delayed decision was not due to incomplete or inaccurate information provided by the student; or
The student was activated for compulsory military service.

Students who are not entitled to a refund as described above may petition the University for a refund demonstrating exceptional circumstances, and the chief financial officer of the University or designee may authorize a refund if he or she determines that the fees and tuition were not earned by the University.

Information concerning any aspect of the refund of fees or concerning the refund policies of CSU Stanislaus for the return of unearned tuition and fees or other refundable portions of institutional charges is available from the Director of Student Financial Services, Mary Stuart Rogers Building, Room 290, or at (209) 667-3063.

Cancellation of Registration or Withdrawal from the Institution

Students who find it necessary to cancel their registration or to withdraw from all classes after enrolling for any academic term are required to follow the University’s official withdrawal procedures. Failure to follow formal university procedures may result in an obligation to pay fees as well as the assignment of failing grades in all courses and the need to apply for readmission before being permitted to enroll in another academic term.

Students who receive financial aid funds must consult with the Financial Aid Director prior to withdrawing from the University regarding any required return or repayment of grant or loan assistance received for that academic term or payment period. If a recipient of student financial aid funds withdraws from the institution during an academic term or a payment period, the amount of grant or loan assistance received may be subject to return and/or repayment provisions.

Fees and Debts Owed

Should a student or former student fail to pay a fee or a debt owed to the University, the University may withhold permission to register, to use facilities for which a fee is authorized to be charged, to receive services, materials, food or merchandise, or any combination of the above from any person owing a debt until the debt is paid (see Sections 42380 and 42381 of Title 5, California Code of Regulations).

Prospective students who register for courses are obligated to pay fees associated with those courses. Failure to cancel registration in any course for an academic term prior to the first day of the academic term obligates the student to pay student fees including any tuition for the reservation of space in the course.

The University may withhold permission to register or receive official transcripts of grades or other services offered by the University from anyone owing fees or another debt to the University. If a person believes he or she does not owe all or part of an asserted unpaid obligation, that person may contact the Financial Services office. The Financial Services office, or another office on campus to which the Financial Services office may refer the person, will review all pertinent information provided by the person and available to the campus and advise the person of its conclusions.

Graduate Fee Waivers

The California Education Code includes provisions for the waiver of mandatory systemwide fees (State University fee or Application for Admission fee) as follows:

Alan Pattee Scholarship Act

No State University fee or Application for Admission fee shall be required of those individuals who qualify for such exemption under the provisions of the Alan Pattee Scholarship Act (Education Code sections 68120- 68121), applicable to dependents of public law enforcement and fire suppression employees killed during active law enforcement or firefighting duties. This Act has also been expanded to include any student in an undergraduate program who is the surviving dependent of a person killed during the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks if the student meets the financial need requirements for the Cal Grant A Program and either the student or the person killed was a California resident on September 11, 2001. For information, contact the Dean of Admissions and Records at (209) 667-3264.

CSU Concurrent Enrollment

Students concurrently enrolled at another CSU campus must have their Concurrent Enrollment form with fees paid certification by their HOME campus on file with the Records Coordinator in Enrollment Services prior to registering for classes in order to have their fees calculated properly.

Employees and Faculty Dependents

Qualifying CSU Stanislaus employees must have their employee fee waiver on file with the Waiver Coordinator in the Enrollment Services Office, (209) 667-3264, prior to registering to have their fees calculated properly. This waiver must be submitted to the Human Resources Office for each term of enrollment. Forms and information are available from the Employee Benefits Coordinator in the Human Resources Office.

Graduate Student Fee Waivers

These are available on a competitive basis for Teaching Associates, Graduate Assistants, or Graduate Scholars who meet specific requirements. Contact the program director for information.

Higher Education Tax Incentives

The Tax Relief Act of 1997 (TRA 97) provides several federal tax incentives for students enrolled in post-secondary higher education.
      Hope Scholarship tax credit
      Lifetime Learning tax credit
      Education IRAs
      Student Loan Interest deduction
CSU Stanislaus cannot determine if students qualify for a tax credit or deduction or provide income tax advice. Please obtain IRS publication 970 and IRS form 8863 or contact a tax return preparer about your specific income tax situation. Additional information can be obtained from the Internal Revenue Service at 1-800-829-1040 or www.irs.ustreas.gov

Senior Scholars

Qualifying students must have their Senior Scholar fee waiver on file with the Waiver Coordinator in the Enrollment Services Office, (209) 667-3264, prior to registering for classes to have their fees calculated properly. This waiver must be renewed each term. Questions should be directed to the Advising Resource Center at (209) 667-3304.

Veteran Deferral

Students qualified by the Veterans Coordinator in the Enrollment Services Office, (209) 667-3081, may have their payment deadline deferred until receipt of veteran benefits. Veterans, dependents of veterans, reservists, and active duty military personnel planning to use veterans educational benefits, or any student with questions concerning veterans educational benefits can obtain information at www.csustan.edu or by contacting a Veterans Services representative in the Enrollment Services Office.

Third Party Pay

Students whose fees will be paid by another party (Vocational Rehabilitation, Workers’ Compensation, Private Industry Council, AmeriCorps, local school districts, or employers, etc.) must have their fee authorization on file with the Cashier’s/Financial Services Office prior to registering for classes. Failure to do so may subject the student to improper billing and related late payment penalties. If the third party fails to pay, the student is fully responsible and liable for all charges incurred on his or her account. For questions, contact Student Financial Services at (209) 667-3977.

Veterans’ Dependents

Veterans’ Dependents Section 66025.3 Applies to qualifying children, spouses, or unmarried surviving spouses of a war period veteran of the U.S. military who is totally service-connected disabled or who died as a result of service-related causes; children of any veteran of the U.S. military who has a service-connected disability, was killed in action, or died of a service-connected disability and meets specified income provisions; qualifying dependents of a member of the California National Guard who in the line of duty and in active service of the state was killed or became permanently disabled or died of a disability as a result of an event while in active service of the state; and undergraduate students who are the recipient of or the child of a recipient of a Congressional Medal of Honor and meet age and income restrictions. Students qualifying for these benefits need to contact the Veterans Coordinator at (209) 667-3081. Qualifying students under provisions of the California Educational Code, section 32320, must have their authorization on file with the Waiver Coordinator in the Enrollment Services Office, (209) 667-3081, prior to registering for classes in order to have their fees calculated properly. The authorization must be renewed for each academic year.

Financial Aid, Fellowships and Scholarships


Matthew Sanchez, Ed.S., Director

Office: Mary Stuart Rogers Educational Services Gateway Building, 100
Phone: (209) 667-3336

The Financial Aid /Scholarships Department administers federal, state and institutional financial aid programs and University scholarship funds available to help students meet their educational expenses.

New students should review the Financial Aid information contained in the CSU Admission Application booklet or online at www.csusmentor. edu. All applicants must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) which may be obtained from high school counselors and college financial aid offices or on the Internet at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Upon receipt of the FAFSA, the Financial Aid/Scholarships Department may request additional information. Application deadlines are observed, and students are encouraged to complete their applications as soon as possible, since funds are limited. Students interested in more information regarding financial aid, scholarship programs, or application procedures should inquire directly to the Financial Aid/Scholarships Department. The standard applicable to Financial Aid recipients for Satisfactory Academic Progress is found in the Financial Aid Handbook. Students can access their financial aid status online at www.csustan.edu.

Financial Aid Programs for Qualified Students

Federal Pell Grant

The Pell Grant Program is a federally funded grant program available to qualified undergraduate students and credential candidates. These grants are designed to be the base award in a student’s financial aid package to which other funds may be added according to total eligibility. 

Federal Perkins Loan

The Perkins Loan Program is a federally funded program that provides longterm, low-interest loans in amounts governed by established eligibility and availability of funds. Five percent simple interest is charged and repayment begins nine months after the date the borrower ceases to maintain at least half-time enrollment. In some cases deferred payment or loan and interest cancellation is possible.

Federal Work Study Program

The Work Study program is a federally funded program that provides eligible students with the opportunity to work on or off campus in an effort to earn all or a portion of their Work Study award.

Short-Term Loan Fund

Short-term loans to meet educational expenses are available to enrolled students. A maximum of $200 may be borrowed with repayment in 60 days.

State University Grant

The State University Grant is a state-funded grant program that looks to provide awards that cover a portion of the fees paid by eligible undergraduate and graduate students who are California residents.

Federal Stafford Loan

Loans are made available to students through private lending institutions such as banks, savings and loans, or credit unions. A subsidized loan is awarded on the basis of financial need. Students will not be charged any interest before repayment begins (typically six months after graduating, withdrawing, or dropping below half-time enrollment), or during periods of deferment. The Federal Government subsidizes the interest during these periods.

An unsubsidized loan is not awarded on the basis of need; in effect, anyone may qualify regardless of income level. The student will be charged interest from the time the loan is disbursed, and has the option of making interest payments quarterly or “capitalizing” the interest – adding it to the principal so that the loan is actually growing during in-school and deferment periods.

Some students may qualify for both types of loans during the same enrollment period; final eligibility will be determined by the Financial Aid Office. All loan applicants must enroll as at least half-time students. Loan amounts may be limited based on dependency status, class level, and total cost of education. Further information and application materials are available at the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office.

Student Assistant Work Program

This work program is funded through the State budget and is administered by the various academic departments on campus.

  • Teaching Associates and Graduate Assistants — available to graduate students who demonstrate an outstanding record of scholarly achievement, subject matter competence in their major fields, and the special qualities necessary to the duty assigned. Contact the program director for information.
  • Graduate Research Awards — to support the student’s research, scholarship, or creative activity. Contact the Graduate School or individual departments to inquire about the application process and the availability of limited funds.
  • California Graduate Equity Fellowship — to increase the diversity of graduate students at California State University, Stanislaus, this program provides fellowships to economically disadvantaged students or to those from underrepresented groups. Filing deadlines are in the spring for the following fall. Contact the Financial Aid/Scholarhips Department for information.
  • Endowed Fellowships — established for certain content areas. Contact the program director for information.

California Pre-Doctoral Program — to increase the pool of potential faculty for California campuses, this loan program provides funds for students to travel to professional meetings, complete their doctoral education, and participate in CSU or UC summer research programs. Students must eventually teach at a State-Supported California University or College to have the loan forgiven. Contact the Graduate School. California Forgivable Loan Program — This program offers loans and faculty sponsorship to full-time students pursuing doctoral degrees who are interested in a teaching career at a CSU campus. Students may pursue their studies at any accredited U.S. university. Twenty percent of the loan is forgiven for each year of full-time postdoctoral teaching at a CSU campus. Awards are made in the spring of each year. Contact the Graduate School at (209) 667-3129 for more information.

Selective Service Registration

The federal Military Selective Service Act requires most males residing in the United States to register with the Selective Service System within 30 days of their 18th birthday. Most males between the ages of 18 and 25 must be registered. Males born after December 31, 1959 may be required to submit a statement of compliance with the Act and regulations to receive any grant, loan or work assistance under specified provisions of existing federal law. In California, students subject to the Act who fail to register are also ineligible to receive any need-based student grants funded by the state or a public postsecondary institution.

Selective Service registration forms are available at any U.S. Post Office, and many high schools have a staff member or teacher appointed as a Selective Service Registrar. Applicants for financial aid can also request that information provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) be used to register them with the Selective Service. Information on the Selective Service System is available and the registration process may be initiated online at http://www.sss.gov.