Jul 15, 2024  
2010-2011 Academic Catalog 
2010-2011 Academic Catalog [Archived Catalog]

Fees and Financial Aid

Note: For fees and financial aid information specific to graduate students, please see the Graduate Education  section of this catalog.


Click on any of the following links for information:


Estimated expenses for the 2010-2011 academic year include $5,302 for resident fees, $8,880 for room and board, and $4,960 for books and incidentals, bringing the total to $19,142. Non-California residents pay an additional $11,160 for full-time tuition ($372.00 per unit). CSU Stanislaus participates in the Western Undergraduate Exchange program which can qualify students from participating western states for reduced nonresident tuition.

State University Fee > 6 units $2115.00
< or = 6 units $1227.00
Associated Students, Inc. $55.00
Athletics $69.00
Health Facility $6.00
Health Services $156.50
Instructionally related activity $44.00
Student Recreation Complex $133.50
University Union $72.00
Late payment $25.00
Late registration $25.00
Parking, (optional) auto $128.00
Parking (optional) motorcycles $32.00
Student ID/Warrior card $0.00
ID card replacement, first time $5.00

 *See the Schedule of Classes and the University Web site for the most up-to-date and complete information, including fees for Summer 2010, course fees, housing fees, etc.

The CSU makes every effort to keep student costs to a minimum.  Fees listed in published schedules or student accounts may need to be increased when public funding is inadequate.  Therefore, CSU must reserve the right, even after initial fee payments are made, to increase or modify any listed fees, without notice, until the date when instruction for a particular semester or quarter has begun.  All CSU listed fees should be regarded as estimates that are subject to change upon approval by The Board of Trustees.

State university fees shown above apply to undergraduates only; please see the Graduate Education  section of this catalog for teacher credential, graduate/postbaccalaureate, and doctorate fees.

Nonresident Tuition

The nonresident tuition fee of $372.00 per unit is payable by all students who have not been legal residents of the State of California for at least one year immediately preceding the residence determination date. Tuition payable by nonresident and foreign visa students is in addition to fees required of California resident students, except for enrollment in University extended education courses. Questions regarding residency classification for admission eligibility and tuition purposes should be directed to the Residency Technician in the Enrollment Services Office at (209) 667-3152.

Initial determination of residence status is made by University officials prior to or at the time of registration, and fees must be paid at registration. Full refund of nonresident fees paid will be made if final determination by the University legal adviser indicates that a student is a legal resident for fee purposes. For more information, refer to Determination of Residence in the Appendix.

Assembly Bill 540 Exemption from Nonresident Tuition

Any student who has attended a California high school full time for three or more years and has graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent thereof (e.g., a High School Equivalency Certificate issued by the California Department of Education – a GED certificate alone does not qualify) will be exempt from paying nonresident tuition. An undocumented alien student who meets the above requirements must file an affidavit with the university indicating the student has applied for legal immigration status or will do so as soon as the student is eligible to do so.

Students who meet the exemption requirements and who are undocumented aliens are not eligible for any federal or state financial aid program. Students exempted from paying nonresident tuition under AB 540 are not eligible for the Governor’s Merit Scholar Programs.

The law does not distinguish between public or private high schools nor impose any time limit on how far in the past the student may have attained this status.

Credit Cards

Neither the main cashier’s office nor the CSU Stanislaus-Stockton Center cashier’s office will accept credit cards. Regular University fees may be paid online with Master Card, Discover, or American Express through CASHNet Smartpay, but users incur a 2.9% convenience fee. VISA, MasterCard, and Discover are accepted only at University Extended Education for payment of student fees. Public Safety and Parking Management Bureau accept MasterCard, Discover, and American Express.

Refund of Mandatory Fees Including Nonresident Tuition

Regulations governing the refund of mandatory fees, including nonresident tuition, for students enrolling at the California State University are included in section 41802 of Title 5, California Code of Regulations. For purposes of the refund policy, mandatory fees are defined as those systemwide fees and campus fees that are required to be paid in order to enroll in state-supported academic programs at the California State University. Refund of fees and tuition charged for self-support programs at the California State University (courses offered through extended education) are governed by a separate policy established by the University.

To receive a full refund of mandatory fees, including nonresident tuition, a student must cancel registration or drop all courses prior to the first day of instruction for the term; see the Academic Policies and Procedures  section for dropping courses and withdrawal from the University.

For state-supported semesters, quarters, and non-standard terms or courses of four (4) weeks or more, a student who withdraws during the term in accordance with the University’s established procedures will receive a refund of mandatory fees, including nonresident tuition, based on the portion of the term during which the student was enrolled. No student withdrawing after the 60 percent point in the term will be entitled to a refund of any mandatory fees or nonresident tuition.

For state-supported semesters, quarters, and non-standard terms or courses of less than four (4) weeks, no refunds of mandatory fees and nonresident tuition will be made unless a student cancels registration or drops all classes prior to the first day in accordance with the University’s established procedures and deadlines.

Students will also receive a refund of mandatory fees, including nonresident tuition, under the following circumstances:

  • The tuition and mandatory fees were assessed or collected in error;
  • The course for which the tuition and mandatory fees were assessed or collected was cancelled by the University;
  • The University makes a delayed decision that the student was not eligible to enroll in the term for which mandatory fees were assessed and collected and the delayed decision was not due to incomplete or inaccurate information provided by the student; or
  • The student was activated for compulsory military service.

Students who are not entitled to a refund as described above may petition the University for a refund demonstrating exceptional circumstances, and the chief financial officer of the University or designee may authorize a refund if he or she determines that the fees and tuition were not earned by the University.

Information concerning any aspect of the refund of fees or concerning the refund policies of CSU Stanislaus for the return of unearned tuition and fees or other refundable portions of institutional charges is available from the Director of Student Financial Services, Mary Stuart Rogers Building, Room 100, or at (209) 667-3063.

Cancellation of Registration or Withdrawal from the Institution

Students who find it necessary to cancel their registration or to withdraw from all classes after enrolling for any academic term are required to follow the university’s official withdrawal procedures. Failure to follow formal university procedures may result in an obligation to pay fees as well as the assignment of failing grades in all courses and the need to apply for readmission before being permitted to enroll in another academic term.  Information on canceling registration and withdrawal procedures is available from Tina Lent, Associate Director, Records and Registrar, (209) 667-3886.

Students who receive financial aid funds must consult with the Financial Aid office prior to withdrawing from the university regarding any required return or repayment of grant or loan assistance received for that academic term or payment period. If a recipient of student financial aid funds withdraws from the institution during an academic term or a payment period, the amount of grant or loan assistance received may be subject to return and/or repayment provisions. 

Fees and Debts Owed to the Institution

Should a student or former student fail to pay a fee or a debt owed to the University, the University may “withhold permission to register, to use facilities for which a fee is authorized to be charged, to receive services, materials, food or merchandise, or any combination of the above from any person owing a debt” until the debt is paid (see Sections 42380 and 42381 of Title 5, California Code of Regulations).

Prospective students who register for courses offered by the University are obligated for the payment of fees associated with those courses. Failure to cancel registration in any course for an academic term prior to the first day of the academic term obligates the student to pay student fees including any tuition for the reservation of space in the course.

The institution may withhold permission to register or receive official transcripts of grades or other services offered by the institution from anyone owing fees or another debt to the institution. The institution may also report the debt to a credit bureau, offset the amount due against any future state tax refunds due the student, refer the student to an outside collection agency, and/or charge the student actual and reasonable collection costs, including reasonable attorney fees if litigation is necessary, in collecting any amount not paid when due.

If a person believes he or she does not owe all or part of an asserted unpaid obligation, that person may contact the Financial Services office. The Financial Services office, or another office on campus to which the Financial Services office may refer the person, will review all pertinent information provided by the person and available to the campus and advise the person of its conclusions.

Fee Waivers

The California Education Code includes provisions for the waiver of mandatory systemwide fees as follows:

Section 68120 -Qualifying children and surviving spouses/registered domestic partners of deceased public law enforcement or fire suppression employees who were California residents and who were killed in the course of active law enforcement or fire suppression duties (referred to as Alan Pattee Scholarships);

Section 68121 -Qualifying students enrolled in an undergraduate program who are the surviving dependent of any individual killed in the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center in New York City, the Pentagon building in Washington, D.C., or the crash of United Airlines Flight 93 in southwestern Pennsylvania, if the student meets the financial need requirements set forth in Section 69432.7 for the Cal Grant A Program and either the surviving dependent or the individual killed in the attacks was a resident of California on September 11, 2001.

Section 68075 (a) -An undergraduate student who is a member of the Armed Forces of the United States stationed in this state on active duty, except a member of the Armed Forces assigned for educational purposes to a state-supported institution of higher education, is entitled to resident classification only for the purpose of determining the amount of tuition and fees.

Section 68075 (b) -A student seeking a graduate degree who is a member of the Armed Forces of the United States stationed in this state on active duty, except a member of the Armed Forces assigned for educational purposes to a state-supported institution of higher education, shall be entitled to resident classification only for the purpose of determining the amount of tuition and fees for more than two academic years, and shall thereafter be subject to Article 5 (commencing with Section 68060).

Veteran Dependent
Section 66025.3 -Qualifying children, spouses/registered domestic partners, or unmarried surviving spouses/registered domestic partners of a war period veteran of the U.S. military who is totally service- connected disabled or who died as a result of service-related causes; children of any veteran of the U.S. military who has a service-connected disability, was killed in action, or died of a service-connected disability and meets specified income provisions; any dependents or surviving spouse/registered domestic partner who has not remarried of a member of the California National Guard who in the line of duty and in active service of the state was killed or became permanently disabled or died of a disability as a result of an event while in active service of the state; and undergraduate students who are the recipient of or the child of a recipient of a Congressional Medal of Honor and meet certain age and income restrictions.

Students who may qualify for these benefits should contact the Admissions/Registrar’s Office for further information and/or an eligibility determination.

Veteran Deferral

Students qualified by the Veterans Coordinator in the Enrollment Services Office, (209) 667-3081, may have their payment deadline deferred until receipt of veteran benefits. Veterans, dependents of veterans, reservists, and active duty military personnel planning to use veterans educational benefits, or any student with questions concerning veterans educational benefits can obtain information at www.csustan.edu or by contacting a Veterans Services representative in the Enrollment Services Office.

CSU Concurrent Enrollment

Students concurrently enrolled at another CSU campus must have their Concurrent Enrollment form with fees paid certification by their HOME campus on file with the Records Coordinator in Enrollment Services prior to registering for classes in order to have their fees calculated properly.

Employees, Faculty, and Dependents

Qualifying CSU Stanislaus employees or their dependents must have their employee/dependent fee waiver on file with the Waiver Coordinator in the Enrollment Services Office, (209) 667-3264, prior to registering to have their fees calculated properly. This waiver must be submitted to the Human Resources Office for each term of enrollment. Forms and information are available from the Employee Benefits Coordinator in the Human Resources Office.

Senior Scholars

Qualifying students must have their Senior Scholar fee waiver on file with the Waiver Coordinator in the Enrollment Services Office,(209) 667-3264, prior to registering for classes to have their fees calculated properly. This waiver must be renewed each term. Questions should be directed to the Advising Resource Center, (209) 667-3304.

Third Party Pay

Students whose fees will be paid by another party (Vocational Rehabilitation, Workers’ Compensation, Private Industry Council, Americorps, local school districts, or employers, etc.) must have their fee authorization on file with the Cashier’s/Financial Services Office prior to registering for classes. Failure to do so may subject the student to improper billing and related late payment penalties. If the third party fails to pay, the student is fully responsible and liable for all charges incurred on his or her account. For questions, contact Student Financial Services at (209) 667-3063.

Higher Education Tax Incentives

The Tax Relief Act of 1997 (TRA 97) and the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 provide several federal tax incentives for students enrolled in post-secondary higher education.

  • American Opportunity Credit
  • Hope Scholarship tax credit
  • Lifetime Learning tax credit
  • Education IRAs
  • Student Loan Interest deduction
  • Tuition and Fees deduction

CSU Stanislaus cannot determine if students qualify for a tax credit or deduction or provide income tax advice. Please obtain IRS publication 970 and IRS form 8863 or contact a tax return preparer about your specific income tax situation. Additional information can be obtained from the Internal Revenue Service at 1-800-829-1040 or www.irs.ustreas.gov


Financial Aid

Noelia Gonzalez, M.A., Director

Office: Mary Stuart Rogers Educational Services Gateway Building, Room 100
Phone: (209) 667-3336

The Financial Aid and Scholarship Office administers Federal and State financial aid programs and University scholarship funds available to help students meet their educational expenses.

New students should review the Financial Aid information contained in the CSU Admission Application booklet or online at www.csumentor.edu. All applicants must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) which may be obtained from high school counselors or on the Internet at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Upon receipt of the FAFSA, the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office may request additional information. Application deadlines are observed, and students are encouraged to complete their applications as soon as possible, since funds are limited. The priority filing deadline is March 2 of every year for the following academic year.  For example, March 2, 2010 is the priority filing deadline for the 2010/2011 academic year.  Students interested in more information regarding financial aid, scholarship programs, or application procedures should inquire directly to the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office. The standard applicable to Financial Aid recipients for Satisfactory Academic Progress is found at the Financial Aid Website under “Academic Requirements.” Students can access their financial aid status online at www.csustan.edu/financialaid.

Financial Aid Programs for Qualified Students

Academic Competitiveness Grant (ACG)

This grant is for full-time first- and second-year students who completed a rigorous high school program of study and who demonstrate financial need. Second-year students are required to have a 3.0 cumulative GPA.

Cal Grants

These State-funded awards are made by the California Student Aid Commission to eligible California residents on the basis of financial need and academic eligibility. Applicants must file a valid FAFSA by March 2. New applicants must also provide a GPA verification by the deadline.  Students receiving a fee waiver or fee sponsorship are not eligible to receive this grant.

  • Cal Grant A provides undergraduate students with payment of systemwide California State University (CSU) fees.  Students receiving a fee waiver or fee sponsorship are not eligible to receive this grant.
  • Cal Grant B provides undergraduate students with an award for books and living expenses in the first year, and beginning with the second year, also provides payment of CSU systemwide fees.

Federal Pell Grant

The Pell Grant Program is a federally funded program available to qualified undergraduate students and credential candidates. These grants are designed to be the base award in a student’s financial aid package to which other funds may be added according to total eligibility.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant

These awards are federally funded and are granted to undergraduate students who demonstrate the greatest financial need.

Federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)

Loans are made through the Departmetn of Education to parents of dependent undergraduate students. Repayment of loans at a variable simple interest begins immediately upon disbursement of funds. More information and applications are available at the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office.

Federal Perkins Loan

This Federal program provides long-term, low-interest loans in amounts governed by established eligibility and availability of funds. Five percent simple interest is charged and repayment begins nine months after the date the borrower ceases to maintain at least half-time enrollment. In some cases deferred payment or loan and interest cancellation is possible.

Federal Work Study Program

Eligible students may be able to work on or off campus to earn all or a portion of their financial aid awards.

National Science and Mathematics Access to Retain Talent Grant (“SMART Grants”)

This grant is for full-time third- and fourth-year students who have a cumulative 3.0 GPA, demonstrate financial need, and who are enrolled in specific science, math, and foreign language majors.

Short-Term Loan Fund

Short-term loans to meet educational expenses are available to enrolled students. A maximum of $200 may be borrowed with repayment in 60 days.

State University Grant

These State-funded awards cover a portion of the fees paid by eligible undergraduate and graduate students who are California residents.  Students receiving a fee waiver or fee sponsorship are not eligible to receive this grant.

State Educational Opportunity Program Grant

Students admitted through the Educational Opportunity Program who have financial need may be funded under this State program.

Federal Direct Loans

Loans are made available to students through the Department of Education. A subsidized loan is awarded on the basis of financial need. Students will not be charged any interest before repayment begins (typically six months after graduating, withdrawing, or dropping below half-time enrollment), or during periods of deferment. The Federal Government subsidizes the interest during these periods. An unsubsidized loan is not awarded on the basis of need; in effect, anyone may qualify regardless of income level. The student will be charged interest from the time the loan is disbursed, and has the option of making interest payments quarterly or “capitalizing” the interest – adding it to the principal so that the loan is actually growing during in-school and deferment periods. Some students may qualify for both types of loan during the same enrollment period; final eligibility will be determined by the Financial Aid Office. All loan applicants must enroll as at least half-time students. Loan amounts may be limited based on dependency status, class level, and total cost of education. Further information and application materials are available at the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office.

Student Assistant Employment

Student employment on campus is administered through Human Resources in MSR 320.  Students can view non-Workstudy and Unit 11 (teaching assistants and tutors) job openings online 24/7 or in the Human Resources Office during regular business hours.

Selective Service Registration

The federal Military Selective Service Act requires most males residing in the United States to register with the Selective Service System within 30 days of their 18th birthday. Most males between the ages of 18 and 25 must be registered. Males born after December 31, 1959 may be required to submit a statement of compliance with the Act and regulations to receive any grant, loan or work assistance under specified provisions of existing federal law. In California, students subject to the Act who fail to register are also ineligible to receive any need-based student grants funded by the state or a public postsecondary institution.

Selective Service registration forms are available at any U.S. Post Office, and many high schools have a staff member or teacher appointed as a Selective Service Registrar. Applicants for financial aid can also request that information provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) be used to register them with the Selective Service. Information on the Selective Service System is available and the registration process may be initiated online at http://www.sss.gov.