Susan Neufeld, Ed.D., Program Adviser/Coordinator
Students applying for the M.A. program will be placed in one of two classifications:
- Graduate Standing: Conditionally Classified (Admission to the university is granted, permitting enrollment in classes as specified by M.A. area adviser). The applicant must:
- Possess a baccalaureate degree.
- Complete the University admission form online at www.csumentor.edu. This includes submitting transcripts to the Graduate School, most importantly those documenting the last 60 units of college/university degree coursework.
- Submit a copy of a teaching credential to the Advanced Studies office (DBH 348). This requirement may be waived, on a case-by-case basis, by the program advisor/coordinator for people working in an instructional environment in which a credential is not required.
Students may complete no more than six units of selected coursework with Conditionally Classified status.
- Graduate Standing: Classified (Admission to the M.A. program is granted). To move from Conditionally Classified to Classified standing, the applicant must provide the following to the Advanced Studies office (DBH 348):
- Submit two letters of Recommendation completed by persons familiar with the applicant’s professional competence.
- Submit one Faculty Recommendation Form completed by a graduate or post-baccalaureate professor.
- Demonstrate writing competence by submitting evidence indicating satisfaction of one of three options: 1) a score of at least 41 on the writing section of CBEST, 2) a passing score on the writing skills section of CSET, or 3) a score of 4.0 or better on the writing test of the GRE.
Note: Prior to being admitted to the program, international applicants whose native language is not English must demonstrate proficiency in English by completing the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a score of at least 550 and with part scores of at least 54.
The minimum academic grade point average for earning the M.A. degree is 3.0. The minimum acceptable grade for courses included in the M.A. program is a C.
The M.A. in Education degree requires the successful completion of all coursework, approval of a written project or thesis, and passing of an oral defense. After all requirements have been met, the student will be awarded the M.A. degree.
Note: Early registration is strongly recommended. Limits are placed on class size; consequently, enrollment is not guaranteed.