Apr 21, 2018  
2012-2013 Academic Catalog 
2012-2013 Academic Catalog [Archived Catalog]

Education M.A.: School Counseling Concentration and Pupil Personnel Services Credential

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Colleges & Departments

Mira Mayer, Ed.D., Program Coordinator

Office: DBH 355
Phone: (209) 667-3447 or 3364

The Master of Arts in Education, School Counseling and Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) Credential is intended for students who aspire to offer counseling services in K-12 schools and/or higher education.  The PPS Credential is required for counselors in the K-12 setting. Upon completion of the program, students qualify for both a PPS credential and a Master of Arts in Education. This program is designed for teachers and other professionals who already have experience working with children and youth. The following requirements adhere to the Standards of Quality and Effectiveness for Pupil Personnel Services Credentials in School Counseling that were adopted by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing in January 2001.

Admission Requirements

To be considered for admission to the PPS Credential/M.A. School Counseling Program, applicants must:

  1. Possess a baccalaureate degree.
  2. Be admitted to the University with a GPA of at least 2.75 for the last 60 units earned.
  3. Submit Application for First Interview form with payment receipt to the Advanced Studies in Education office (DBH 348).
  4. Pass the CBEST with a minimum score of 41 on the writing portion or passage of the Multiple Subject CSET (101, 102, 103) and the CSET Writing Skills (142). Verification must be submitted to the Advanced Studies in Education Department with the Application for First Interview.
  5. Submit proof of a Certificate of Clearance (or valid California Teaching/Service Credential or Substitute Permit) with Application for First Interview.
  6. Submit three (3) letters of recommendation with the Application for First Interview.
  7. Successfully complete First Interview.

 General Information

  1. Coursework Requirements - No more than nine semester units of coursework may be earned prior to program admission. This includes all transfer work from another university. Students may take up to nine units of coursework prior to full program admission.
  2. Graduate Requirements - The minimum academic grade point average for earning the M.A. degree is 3.0.  The minimum acceptable grade for courses included in the M.A. program is a C.
  3. Final Requirements - The P.P.S. and M.A. in Education degree requires the successful completion of all coursework and passing a written Comprehensive Exam, or approval of a written thesis, and passing of an oral thesis defense.  After all requirements have been met, the student will be awarded the M.A. degree and/or will be eligible to apply for the P.P.S. credential.
  4. Class Scheduling - Courses are scheduled in the late afternoon and evening to enable employed individuals to enroll in classes. Early registration is strongly recommended.

Requirements for PPS with Comprehensive Exam Option:

(51 units)


If the Comprehensive Exam is not passed during the final semester of course enrollment, then student needs to register for EDGS 7006  (once). Comprehensive Exam passing score is 600, and exam may be retaken until passing score is achieved.

Requirements for PPS with Thesis Option:

(58-60 units)


If Thesis is not completed after three semesters of enrollment in EDGS 5990, then student must enroll in EDGS 7005  every semester until completion of M.A.

The Pupil Personnel Services: School Counseling Intern Credential Program

The Pupil Personnel Services: School Counseling Intern Credential Program allows school districts to appoint PPS Credential candidates to school counseling positions after they have completed 23 units of coursework, including one semester of fieldwork. This position shall be for at least one semester. The intern is supervised by both the University School Counseling faculty and the school district of employment, while continuing the required PPS credential coursework. The internship credential is usually issued for a two-year period; thus the intern must complete the approved institutional program within a two-year period or the period authorized by the internship credential.

For additional information and program advisement, the applicant is asked to contact the program coordinator.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Colleges & Departments